Hidden Gems: Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Welcome back! When I began digging for cards to discuss in this week's post, I wasn't sure where to look. Almost randomly I landed on Coldsnap. As I was scrolling through the set on Gatherer I came across Into the North, a card I had never seen before (I began playing around Shards of Alara). Here it is:



I love ramp spells so naturally I was excited. Immediately I narrowed the search to snow lands. Of course there were the cycle of snow-covered basics that everyone is aware of.


What I also found was a cycle of nonbasic snow lands. Yes they enter the battlefield tapped, but they can be grabbed by Into the North and obviously count towards any snow requirements on other cards you might be playing...or that may be printed in the future.


What really pushes Into the North to a playable level for me, is its ability to grab three other particular lands from the set: Dark Depths, Mouth of Ronom, and Scrying Sheets. Certainly Mouth of Ronom is the weakest out of the bunch, but I feel it can still be useful in any build that plays Crucible of Worlds or Ramunap Excavator. Four damage to a creature in this format is more relevant than you might think. For starters, it kills Atraxa, Yidris, Breya, and Meren...the list goes on and on.

Dark Depths and Scrying Sheets are on a completely different level. Dark Depths can be slow to thaw, but there are plenty of ways to accelerate this process. Yes, your 20/20 with flying and indestructible can be exiled by a number of things, but I am of the mindset of making them have it. Because if they don't you are going to be bashing some faces. And if they do...well that is just unfortunate.

Scrying Sheets is powerful in a different and more methodical kind of way. Working well with cards such as Sensei's Divining Top, Soothsaying, and Crystal Ball (yes I realize there are plenty of others) it helps smooth out your draws by putting the lands into your hand so you can draw more spells. Plus, it taps for 1 colorless and therefore is never a useless card.


Did I miss anything? As always feel free to share other ideas in the comments below. You can also tweet them to my new Twitter account at: @CasualCmdr. If you have a cool commander deck and would like to have it featured, send me an email at thecasualcmdr@gmail.com. Thanks for stopping by!

My Current Deck Arsenal:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deck Feature: Xenagos, God of Revels

Deck Feature: Seton, Krosan Protector

Translate